Best Japanese Beauty Skin Care Routines to Combat Blemishes and Age Spots
Skin problems are the headache of many people both men and women. The problem of blemishes on the skin such as pimples, freckles, spots, and discoloration are concerns that many people face daily and could find it difficult to resolve. Some people might feel anxious and upset as these skin problems persist and affect their appearance and self confidence.
What are the blemishes on the skin?
These form when black melanin accumulates excessively on the skin. If there are many blemishes, the skin’s color may become uneven or even look dull and old.
Black melanin is actually the skin’s way of protecting the skin from damage caused by UV rays.
The black melanin forms a barrier function to protect the skin from ultraviolet rays and prevent damage when the skin is exposed to UV light. This is an important protective function of the skin to prevent skin troubles and illnesses such as skin cancer etc.
There are different types of blemishes such as:
- Sunlight moles caused by exposure to UV rays that damage the skin,
- Post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation which are dark spots or marks left behind after a pimple heals,
- Chloasma or melasma which is a pigmentation disorder of the skin and causes dark patches on the face and other parts of the body often exposed to sunlight, and
- Freckles which are extra patches of coloring under your skin that look like brown spots on the skin.
The depth of the pigmentation or blemish can be deciphered by the color tone of the spots or patches. Pigmentation come in a variety of colors and some may be dark while some are light. The color ranges from brown, black to even slightly blue. Stronger black and brown colored pigmentation is closer to the surface of the skin as the amount of melanin increases and degree of accumulation also increases.
Gray or bluish pigmentation are deep into the skin and it is difficult to improve these types of spots because they remain in the back of the skin without being excreted during skin renewal turnover process. In such cases, it would be advisable to consult a dermatologist.
On the other hand, brown or blackish blemishes are found in the shallow part of the skin and can be expected to gradually fade or disappear by being excreted during the skin’s normal turnover process which is the metabolism of the skin.
What causes blemishes on the skin?
Although we often blame UV rays for causing blemishes on the skin, it is only one of the main causes of these skin blemishes. These blemishes may over time become age spots if left unattended.
Here are the 4 general causes of blemishes:
- UV : it is the most important cause of blemishes on the skin and about 80% of skin problems are caused by exposure to ultraviolet rays. There are 2 types of UV rays, namely, UV-A and UV-B.
UV-A has a long wavelength and can pass through even cloudy skies and windows. It causes the skin to produce a large amount of black melanin which darkens the skin. As it has strong penetrative capability, it is important to protect yourself against UV-A even on cloudy days and in the car or indoors.
UV-B, on the other hand, attacks the skin more severely and has the power to destroy skin cells. It is also the cause of skin cancer. UV-B is the cause of skin irritation, redness, and tingling on the skin when you’re out under the sun.
It is essential to protect the skin from UV rays all year round because it is present and does not disappear even in the cold autumn or freezing winter months. It is important to protect your skin especially during the dry seasons because the skin becomes weak due to the lack of moisture and becomes easily damaged by UV rays.
Sunscreen is one of the most essential beauty products to keep in your home for daily use. Frequent use of sunscreen prevents the premature aging of skin, protects from the sun's harmful rays and keeps the skin youthful and supple.
- Changes in female hormones: Imbalance of female hormones may increase the production of black melanin which can lead to the increase of age spots. Imbalance of female hormones may be a result of irregular menstruation, menopause, pregnancy or childbirth, and day-to-day stress or irregular diet. It is important to pay attention to women's health every day.
- Active oxygen: This active oxygen generated in the body stimulates and promotes the production of black melanin which may cause age spots. Active oxygen is caused by UV rays, stress, air pollution, and tobacco.
- Other stimulation: Physical stimuli such as scratching of the skin, friction on the skin by rubbing or chafing, insect bites irritation or even decreased function of the liver or kidney may cause blemishes.
So how can we prevent blemishes or improve them?
There is not yet a non-invasive way developed to remove blemishes or freckles effectively. However, blemishes can be prevented from forming or blemishes can be lightened with proper care.
There are 3 simple ways to prevent or improve blemishes:
- Suppress the production of black melanin: As UV rays are the No. 1 cause of black melanin production, it is important to reduce the frequency and duration of exposure to UV rays daily to avoid the increase in blemishes.
A good UV protection clothing, umbrella, and sunscreen is essential for daily use to give ourselves maximum protection possible against the harmful effects of UV exposure.
- Enhance the turnover function of the skin metabolism: Excess black melanin will not be excreted efficiently and stays in the skin for a long time leading to pigmentation and blemishes when the skin’s turnover and metabolism is disturbed. To improve the skin’s turnover and restore its metabolism to normalcy, firstly review your lifestyle and ensure you are getting a good diet with essential nutrients, reduce caffeine intake, get adequate exercise and sleep.
In addition, you can take HYTHIOL products to aid in your body’s metabolism efficiency for improved skin health. HYTHIOL contains L-Cysteine which promotes the skin metabolism and supports the excretion of black melanin from inside the body. HYTHIOL also suppresses the action of active oxygen making it very effective in helping the skin against blemishes.
Hythiol C Plus helps skin metabolism, and smoothly discharges excess melanin, while suppressing the production of excess melanin causing stains, and discolors or lightens black melanin deposited on the skin, so it reduces spots and freckles. If your body's metabolism is delayed for some reason, you will not be able to produce energy efficiently, and you will feel tired and dull.
Hythiol C Plus helps the enzymes that convert nutrients into energy, and helps eliminate fatigue and dullness by smoothing out the production of internal energy. It also helps to relief the symptoms of hangover. The cause of the hangover is a substance called acetaldehyde that is produced in the process of metabolizing alcohol.
Hythiol C Plus helps break down acetaldehyde and improve hangover symptoms.
Hythiol C-Whitea is a treatment for marks on the skin and freckles. Antioxidant L-cysteine suppresses the excessive production of melanin, which causes stains or marks on the skin, and discolors or lightens black melanin deposited on the skin.
Furthermore, Hythiol C-Whitea helps normalize the metabolism (turnover) of the skin and smoothly discharge excess melanin. Effective when taken twice a day in the morning and evening. It is in an easy to take small size and easy to continue daily.
- Suppress the oxidation of black melanin: When black melanin is oxidized, it becomes thicker and darker. So, by reducing the oxidation of black melanin, it is possible to thin the black melanin and gradually lighten it.
Many whitening products also help in the lightening of black melanin in the skin.
One of the popular and recommended whitening products with effective results is Sofina KAO Whitening Fair Brightening Professional Beauty Skincare.
Sofina KAO Whitening Fair Brightening Professional Beauty Skincare is a lotion that prevents excessive melanin production.
Sofina KAO Whitening Fair Brightening Professional Beauty Skincare contains the only natural plant-derived whitening active ingredient "Camomila ET".
Furthermore, Sofina KAO Whitening Fair Brightening Professional Beauty Skincare has evolved by newly blending moist brightening ingredients. It leads to moisturized and transparent skin as if it were reborn and suppresses the production of melanin, prevents spots and freckles.
2. tranexamic acid:
3. placenta extract:
There are many methods, products, and actions you can take to prevent and lighten blemishes. A combination routine of the above few suggestions may be the best way for you to combat age spot for more youthful rejuvenated skin. Make it a habit to make time for skin care routine, so that you can enjoy beautiful, young, and blemish-free skin every day.
Copyright (c) SSP CO., L. T. D. / https://www.ssp.co.jp/. (n.d.). ハイチオール. 内側から、輝くひとへ。「ハイチオール」【エスエス製薬】. https://www.ssp.co.jp/hythiol/.
ANESSA brand SITE｜SHISEIDO. アネッサ（ANESSA）ブランドサイト｜資生堂. (n.d.). http://anessa.shiseido.co.jp/en/.